Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Key to Everything

As some of my friends at work know, I've been collecting keys here and there over the past several months for a potential mosaic project still in the idea stage. Well, this morning I picked up a really expensive one:  Jukka and I had just finished packing to leave the hotel. We had a 7:30 call time at the bus, and had planned to be packed and ready for breakfast when the hotel restaurant opened at 7:00. It's just 7:03, we've got it all together, we're heading for the door, and I ask Jukka, "do you have the room key?" It had been on the corner of the desk all morning. We both had seen it and knew it was there...

Long story short, after tearing the room apart, digging through pockets, carry-ons, and suitcases, I sent Jukka off to grab some breakfast at 7:20 while I did the whole thing over again. At 7:31 I gave up and left the room with our bags thrown back together again. At this point I'm really frustrated, but not overly concerned. Sure it's a real metal key, but how bad could it be? I'm thinking maybe a $20 lost key fee. I've already got a raging headache, I'm dripping with sweat, (did Ruben mention how hot it was in the rooms?) I'd rather pay the $20 and move on. How much for the missing key? $200. !!?! Well it's a big metal key. They have to replace the whole lock, they can't just reprogram a computer chip.

By now Lois and David have already helped us re-re-check pockets, carry-ons, and suitcases with fresh eyes, calmer nerves, etc. Lois and I even went back to the room to help the hotel staff search, to make sure it hadn't gotten lost in the bedding, been kicked under the bed, fallen into the trash can, etc. (All of which Jukka and I had checked before...) No luck.

So we now own a really cool, metal, hotel room key with a big green plastic tab on it that says Hotel New Otani Saga. Only problem is, we still can't find it!

2 comments:

Missy said...

10:00 p.m., just back from supper at a rolling sushi restaurant. Open my suitcase to pull out pjs, and out of habit now start groping around down all the edges of the bag. Guess what is tucked into the back corner, practically peeking out the top?! Neither of us has a clue how it got there... I'm pretty disappointed it wasn't in a more surprising, out of the way place, but happy to be able to trade it in for a refund before the hotel re-keyed the room! I'll look for a cheaper alternative for my mosaic masterpiece...

Michèle Sharik said...

HURRAY!!!!!