Monday, December 10, 2007

Observations

Well, here I am again in Japan with Sonos. Will THIS woman ever go away?? I think I am right up there with Sherry Graham from the Raleigh Ringers in my ability to say “no” when your director comes calling.


It's the afternoon in Osaka, and the rest of the group has left to see the Emperor's Palace and some have gone to see the Rose Garden. I decided to take a nap and a long hot bath. (These deep tubs in Japan are amazing.) When I couldn't sleep, I decided to take a walk to my daily addiction... Starbucks.


Walking by myself in a big city puts language in perspective. Everywhere were Asians, and I saw no one that looked like me. I did identify with one woman, however. She was dressed in heels and a dressy coat, riding her bicycle and talking on her cell phone as she rode along!! I thought that the Japanese probably complain about those crazy drivers who talk on their phones while commuting – just like we do in the U.S.. Who knows, the Japanese are probably about to implement a new law about hands-free communication devices while riding your bike.


So, I get to Starbucks and point to my drink. I noticed right away that the other customers were all grabbing a pastry with their afternoon coffee. That is the sad part about Japan in recent trips. I am definitely seeing the weight gain on the young Japanese students. Another one of our Western influences that should not be adopted.


So I people watch, sitting alone staring out the window, listening to Christmas carols sung in English. I think of my nephew who came to Japan ten years ago to teach English as a second language. He knew nobody when he arrived, and it must have been quite lonely not to be able to communicate with the locals. It was a good time to remind myself how important language is in connecting with others.


So on that cheery note, I'll wish you a Merry Christmas. Cuz if you are reading this, we share the same language!

No comments: